thai-language.comInternet resource
for the Thai language
Lookup:
» more options here
Browse

F.A.Q. Check out the list of frequently asked questions for a quick answer to your inquiry

e-mail the author
guestbook
site settings
site news
bulk lookup
Bangkok
Thanks for your

recent donations!

Narisa N. $+++!
John A. $+++!
Paul S. $100!
Mike A. $100!
Eric B. $100!
John Karl L. $100!
Don S. $100!
John S. $100!
Peter B. $100!
Ingo B $50
Peter d C $50
Hans G $50
Alan M. $50
Rod S. $50
Wolfgang W. $50
Bill O. $70
Ravinder S. $20
Chris S. $15
Jose D-C $20
Steven P. $20
Daniel W. $75
Rudolf M. $30
David R. $50
Judith W. $50
Roger C. $50
Steve D. $50
Sean F. $50
Paul G. B. $50
xsinventory $20
Nigel A. $15
Michael B. $20
Otto S. $20
Damien G. $12
Simon G. $5
Lindsay D. $25
David S. $25
Laurent L. $40
Peter van G. $10
Graham S. $10
Peter N. $30
James A. $10
Dmitry I. $10
Edward R. $50
Roderick S. $30
Mason S. $5
Henning E. $20
John F. $20
Daniel F. $10
Armand H. $20
Daniel S. $20
James McD. $20
Shane McC. $10
Roberto P. $50
Derrell P. $20
Trevor O. $30
Patrick H. $25
Rick @SS $15
Gene H. $10
Aye A. M. $33
S. Cummings $25
Will F. $20
Get e-mail

Sign-up to join our mail­ing list. You'll receive e­mail notification when this site is updated. Your privacy is guaran­teed; this list is not sold, shared, or used for any other purpose. Click here for more infor­mation.

To unsubscribe, click here.

Uses of เพื่อน

Vowel & consonant graphemes (letters), syllables, and orthography

Moderator: acloudmovingby

Uses of เพื่อน

Postby bahtman » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:48 am

I find that sometimes it's not always a straightforward translation of a word.
The word เพื่อน. everyone thinks it means friend in the English sense.

My wife's nephew (aged 9) is at school is in a class of 30-40 kids. He came hone with a plaster stuck across his forehead about two centimetres above his eye.
It turned out one of the other kids in the class had cut him with a 'knife' - the type that has a retractable blade, used as a cutter.

When I was talking talking to my wife, she used the word 'เพื่อน' to describe the kid that had cut him. I tried to ask about this 'เพื่อน' and why he would do that if he was really a friend. I said that two centimetres lower, and her nephew could have been blinded.

My wife said that they use 'เพื่อน' to describe all the students in the class, irrespective of whether they are close friends or just classmates in the same room.

I'm keen to find out regarding the use of เพื่อน, as we have an appointment with the teacher to discuss this.
Is there a way to differentiate in Thai between friends and classmates in the English sense of those two words?
bahtman

Re: Uses of เพื่อน

Postby David and Bui » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:16 am

Let's start with definition 1 in the Royal Society Dictionary:

". ผู้ชอบพอรักใคร่กัน, ผู้สนิทสนมคุ้นเคยกัน, เช่น เขามีเพื่อนมาก, ผู้ร่วมสถาบันหรือร่วมอาชีพเป็นต้น เช่น เพื่อนร่วมโรงเรียน เพื่อนร่วมรุ่น เพื่อนข้าราชการ เพื่อนกรรมกร, ผู้ร่วมธุระ เช่น อยู่เป็นเพื่อนกันก่อน ไปเป็นเพื่อนกันหน่อย, ผู้อยู่ในสภาพเดียวกัน เช่น เพื่อนมนุษย์ เพื่อนร่วมโลก."

One of the sub definitions is "...ผู้ร่วมสถาบันหรือร่วมอาชีพเป็นต้น เช่น เพื่อนร่วมโรงเรียน เพื่อนร่วมรุ่น เพื่อนข้าราชการ เพื่อนกรรมกร ..."
"...a fellow members of an institution, a colleague or someone in the same profession, for example, a person attending the same school, a classmate, a fellow civil servant, a co-worker...."

How cool is that!
David in Houston
David and Bui

Re: Uses of เพื่อน

Postby bahtman » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.

From the description in the Royal Society Dictionary, I can see the Thai use of the word is not a straight translation, as it has a cultural difference as well.
It looks like I'm going to need to choose my words carefully about a 'friend' nearly blinding someone with a box cutter knife.
bahtman

Return to Reading, Writing, Spelling, and Tone Rules